Friday, March 21, 2014

An experiment in Zentangling

Picture One
Picture Two
Picture Three
OK... time to start experimenting a bit with my zentangling.  I've posted a couple of designs recently using stencils to zentangle.  I fancied trying out working onto a patterned background and as I've recently acquired a new dictionary to alter from the charity shop - I thought that would be a good project to try. 

I picked the sweet poppy stencil - Butterfly Tree and I wanted to zentangle the background, not the tree.  I started by drawing around the outline of all parts of the design (see picture one).  I then started to draw random segments and pattern within it.  i tried to keep a variety of patterns and different darks and lights.  When I got to the edge of the page I drew in some twiddly scrolls to keep the edges soft and fluid.

It's not all that clear to see from the photo - but looks better when it's in front of you.

Lessons learnt from this one...  darker patterns are needed to give a bolder definition to the design.. perhaps to leave some blocks un-patterned or filled in completely..   I will be continuing to experiment with this technique!

happy crafting

Jane

www.aldridgecrafts.co.uk
Shop for Stencils

No comments: